“Ok Google, search Indian Train Status for trains from Chennai to Bengaluru”.
It’s quick and convenient.
You don’t even have to launch the app!
Just activate voice command mode on your Android phone by saying ‘Ok Google’ if enabled, or by tapping on the ‘Google mic’ / Google Assistant.
Then say ‘search Indian Train Status for…’
and you can search trains between two stations, trains by name or by number.
Here are some examples:
- Search Indian Train Status for trains from Chennai to Bengaluru
- Search Indian Train Status for trains between Chennai and Mumbai
- Search Indian Train Status for Mumbai Express
- Search Indian Train Status for 16347
To get this feature right now, please update the Indian Train Status app for Android from:
With colorful new themes and a 69% discount on the remove ads purchase, featured in Google Play Store India “Independence Day Collection” of 2015!
A beta tester community has been created for Indian Train Status (Android & iOS). Join the community & check out latest development features:
And after joining the community, to opt – in for Android beta testing, visit:
For iOS, it is by email invitation, so just send in your email and you will be invited for ‘TestFlight’ beta testing.
An issue where the entire app sometimes freezes when the status is loaded, noted after iOS 8, has now been fixed. The updated v3.80 is now available on the App Store.
The next update of Train Alarm for iOS comes with new features for iOS 8: A Today View Widget that shows up-to-date distance to latest alarm station, and ‘Show in Map’ action for alarm notifications.
With iOS 8 round the corner, and Apple gently nudging to update apps with shiny new versions in time for the big release on 17th, the past week has been busy, and the rewards, well, shall soon be ‘available on the App Store’.
Managing the different screen sizes with larger iPhones turned out to be quite easy, the only thing extra that was really required was a new 3x res app icon for the high pixel density of the 6 Plus screen. A few other issues regarding access to system services like notifications, location services and background tasks were sorted out.
The interesting part was trying to implement some of the new features in the latest iOS. As mentioned in the last WWDC, iOS 8 is a big release for developers and opens up a lot of the system to developers.
- Notification actions – which are small optional buttons that can be added to notifications to provide faster and meaningful interaction with the information. This was relevant for the Train Alarm app, so that a new option has been added, “View in Map” for the alarm notifications.
- Widgets – yes, iOS finally has widgets, but they are implemented in a unique way that is both unobtrusive yet seems quite powerful. They live in the “Today” view. This also was relevant for Train Alarm, to have a widget that would update the location to the latest alarm station, this has also been added in the update.
So look out for these exiting new features in the next release!
Indian Train Status v5.71 for Android has a new feature, QuickMarks – for quick, one-click access to any one of:
- Live status of a train, at station
- Live status of trains running from one station to another
- List of trains between two stations.
Here is a short video explaining what this feature is all about:
ITS 5.62 for Android supports a new set of enhanced widgets
These widgets are based on a suggestion by Mr Ravish Koushlesh.
Indian Train Status for Android has today crossed 1 million downloads. So thanks everybody – thanks a million – not only for downloading, but also for sticking with the app as it evolved over time, going through several difficult periods of adaptation to the changing national train enquiry portal and, especially, for giving your valuable feedback and suggestions, many of which are now integral parts of the app, making it what it is today.
Location based alarms for Indian Train Stations – now available for iPhone & iPad!
Just like the Android & WP8 versions, this app comes with a list of Indian Railway Stations, with their locations, to set the alarms. Over 2500 stations are currently listed, more stations are being continuously added, and you can also add stations on your own after downloading the app!
Be informed when your train is about to reach a station, using the location services on your iPhone or iPad! No internet connection is required for the alarms to work.
The alarms may be set with a triggering radius of 10km or 25km, and will be triggered within an error margin of 1/2 – 2km depending on the accuracy of the location fix.
The app uses low battery consuming location detection provided by the latest iOS core location technologies.